Now, there are some things to keep in mind when planning a graph design:
- Keep it simple to start with. Maybe choose a geometric border design for a small throw blanket so you can get the hang of it.
- Choose an image with a simple color scheme, and simplify the colors on the pattern maker. There is an option to choose custom colors and I recommend choosing the closest 2-4 colors depending on your design.
- If you use any of the patterns that I linked to, be aware that the coloring isn't perfect, especially on the Ohio State logo. Use common sense and simplify the color scheme as needed. For this one in particular I was planning on a gray or white background, and then using one shade each of a green, a red, black, and brown. So 5 colors total.
- Be aware that the patterns are based on single-crochet stitches so they are fairly time consuming. The best yarn to use is usually a worsted (4ply) or sport (3ply) weight yarn and a size G or H crochet hook.
- Be mindful of copyright infringement. If you're using someone else's design or a trademarked logo, please don't try to sell the pattern or finished product(!!!). This is illegal(!) and could get you in some serious trouble if you get caught.
- Have fun and don't be afraid to experiment! The only way to get better is by practice so start small and work your way up to larger projects. Soon you'll be able to make custom afghans and throws to gift your friends and family!
- If you would like either the Ohio State or IU pattern, please email me and I will send you the full size chart as a .jpg image. I will hopefully have them hosted somewhere in the future but for now I can only email them as attachments.